Pedalite Pedals -

- Flashing Pedals for the Cycle Cop

A Product Review

More and more we are seeing again the bicycle-mounted police officer on our streets, especially in cites and towns – though even in the villages he seems to be making a reappearance – and about time too. In addition to the police constables we now have ambulance paramedics and other first responders on mountain bikes, and then there si the humble Park Ranger and Countryside Ranger, also using bicycles for patrol and for getting about on duty.

Being seen for all of those, like for all cyclists, and not only after dark – even though it is more important when it is dark – is of prime importance. While most officers who use bicycles wear high-visibility jackets of one kind or another, more often than not with reflective strips, I would assume that any additional aids that enhance their visibility must be a bonus.

I first encountered Pedalite flashing pedals at the Pedalite stand on the Cycle 2007 Show at London's Earls Court in October 2007, which I attended with my other Editor's hat, namely that of editor of the Green (Living) Review.
One of the Directors of Pedalite, present at that stand, Mr. Chris Stimpson, kindly gave me a set of the Pedalite pedals for review and I lust say that I am impressed. Let me stress here that I do not impress easily and it normally takes a great deal to impress me and make me go “wow”, but those pedals, so far, certainly have done just that.

Pedalite Pedals are used in 22 countries around the world. They are used by emergency services, including multiple police forces, commuters, school children, students, cycle clubs, government departments, and cycling enthusiasts.












I do understand that some police forces already use Pedalite pedals routinely in their bicycles but I should think that those pedals should become mandatory for all bicycles in use by emergency service personnel, including Parks & Countryside Rangers, Town Wardens, Community Wardens and Community Support Officers.

Fitting those pedals to my general bicycle, a Raleigh Pioneer Classic, was very simple indeed once that I had managed to get the old, and by now well past use-by date, pedals that I was in fact still using on that bike off. I know I should have had new ones fitted a long time ago as the reflectors had all, bar one, broken off but I never got around to doing so. So, thanks again to Pedalite and Mr. Stimpson, the bike now has brilliant (no pun intended) pedals fitted.

Having now used the Pedalite pedals for some time now already in the dark or semi-dark I must say that I feel so much better riding my bicycle with those pedals, as the flashes are so bright and easily seen. Other people also have commented on them rather positively with interest and maybe I should be carrying some kind of information cards on me to give people a link to purchasing them.

The flashes are very bright and powerful while riding and continue for about three to five minutes once pedal movement has ceased, such as when the cycle is in a stationary position.

It would appear – with my review sample set at least – that the white, forward facing LED switches off after about three minutes when stationary while the amber colored one (side) and the red one (rear facing) continue for another one to two minutes.

In addition to that I find that the ride with the Pedalite pedals appear to be smoother underfoot – so to speak – that it has been with the previous set of pedals that I have had one that bike.

One recommendation I would make though to anyone using those pedals and that is to – definitely – also purchase the toe clips that go with them. This avoids the slips that can occur when one puts one's foot on the wrong side of the pedal, namely the one that does not have the metal studs. On wet pedals a slip could turn out nasty.

The lights retail online at www.pedalite.com at £34.99 and they are also available from good cycle shops in the UK and overseas. For more information see the company's website at www.pedalite.com.

Review by Michael Smith (Veshengro), November 2007

No comments: